As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases made on our website. If you make a purchase through links from this website, we may get a small share of the sale from Amazon and other similar affiliate programs. You can read our complete legal information for more details.
The best Roku web browsers as well as Roku TV browsers will have full compatibility with Roku and be able to provide a URL search bar in addition to a lag free web surfing experience.
The Web Video Caster App has proven to be a successful Roku web browser when tested on several different Roku devices.
First, view our guide on How to get a Roku web browser, because since Roku does not have their own built-in app, this can get difficult.
Important: You can see the full list of working browsers and their current status (working or not) as well as how to get an internet app on Roku in further depth in the article mentioned above.
You can also see how to install the Web Video Caster app, which is my favorite browser app on Roku & Roku TV. (I cover this app further in this post).
- Ease of installation and launching the browser is important
- Roku does not have their own app built-in for browsing purposes, but there are browser apps you can download or screen cast.
- You shouldn’t expect to get all the features you would get in a traditional web browser unless screen casting is an option for you
While Roku themselves haven’t spent effort on creating their own version of the best Roku internet browser, they do allow web browsing apps to be downloaded from the Roku channel store or screen casted from a iOS, Mac, Windows, or Android device.
In this post, we will review the 12 best Roku web browsers and compare the pros & cons of each browser in full detail.
- At a Glance – Best Browsers for Roku
- History of the Roku Web Browser
- Best Roku Browsers & Roku TV Internet Browsers
- Is there a Roku TV Browser?
- How we tested and rated the Roku browsers
- What is a Roku Browser?
- Minimal & recommended requirements for using a web browser app on Roku
- Alternative Web Browsers
- Final Thoughts
At a Glance – Best Browsers for Roku
Through rigorous testing, here’s the best Roku browsers:
- Web Video Caster
- POPRISM Web browser
- Kraus & Karnath Browser
- Web Browser X
- Google Chrome
- Emby For Roku
- Safari Browser
- Media Browser
Further in this post, we explain each of the above Roku browsers in detail.
We will be covering their advantages, disadvantages, comparisons to each other, previous model versions, as well as the final results after we tested each browser on Roku.
History of the Roku Web Browser
With over 500,000 channels, it’s interesting how Roku only has 3 Roku browsers that can actually surf the web and be operated with the Roku remote.
The remaining 11 must be used via screen casting or mirroring via a laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
Previously there were options for $5 a month that enabled Roku stick and Roku TV users to enter in urls using their roku remote with minimal delays and lag. There were also Roku private channels and Roku Hacks being used.
- After a few years, in 2021, Roku Private channels stopped working and Roku beta channels were introduced. This caused many browsers to stop working, the most popular being POPRISM and Web Browser X.
- From here, screen casting options such as web video caster were created to fix the browsing situation on Roku.
- However, recently, Roku browser apps that you can download have surfaced and work with your Roku remote.
Roku devices are simply not designed to handle the different types and formats, forms, and content available on the Web, since it’s meant to stream media.
Best Roku Browsers & Roku TV Internet Browsers
There are less than 20 total choices for web browsers in the Roku Channel Store that actually worked when we tested them.
Others had issues that include lag, delays, lack of compatibility with Roku sticks and Roku TVs.
Learn how to use a Roku browser here.
We cover the benefits the best Roku web browsers provide, but make sure you read the compatibility and disadvantages of each browser.
It’s important to note that this list includes paid, free, and even a few alternative browser apps.
Listed below are the best web browsers on Roku & Roku TV that you can choose from.
1. Web Video Cast
I’ve personally tested the Web Video Caster App on several different types of Roku devices and found it to be the most useful Roku web browser, and for a good reason: It works on both Roku and Roku TV.
We cover how to install the Web Video Cast app in a separate post as well as in our guide: How to get a Roku web browser. This link also provides additional ways you can get search the internet on Roku.
This is not just any standard casting app, it doubles as a dedicated Roku internet browser and is an impressive app for overall internet browsing so you can also surf the web and stream as you please.
See the full tutorial video here on how to use web video caster for Roku
- It is easy to set up, simply download on google play or Apple store and you can use your Roku Express, Roku TV, Roku Ultra, and other Roku devices to browse the internet.
- It can also be found on Roku as a Roku channel you can add here: Web Video caster Receiver.
- Additionally, You can use it for streaming TV shows, movies, live streams, twitch, and more. It can also view photos and play videos from social media or a media focused website in general.
- The price point for the premium roku browser version is fair considering it is the best option on this list that we’ve tested hands on, and actually works.
- There is a premium version of this browser on Roku, it is a one time payment of $5 and is not subscription based.
- This app/channel is essentially a receiver that allows you to stream video directly from your iOS or Android phone device.
- Casting videos directly from your web browser will require you to download the app for your phone.
- In other words, it isn’t a browser like we would normally see via a computer, but you can still stream and use your phone to type and browse the web on Roku.
What I found particularly interesting when testing this Roku web browser was that the app Web Video Caster has a feature on the app where you can make a home screen shortcut.
After this, you can view recently viewed websites like you would on google chrome.
In the Android Play Store and Apple iOS App Store, Web Video Caster can be found first in most cases and is the single most powerful browser on Roku.
Videos from your favorite websites can be viewed on your TV, everything from google chrome and safari, to Plex, movies and IPTV. Videos stored on your laptop or iPad can also be viewed on Roku with this app.
A good browser app for Roku that allows not only web surfing, but browsing history as well is extremely rare, but web video caster accomplishes this.
2. POPRISM Web Browser
POPRISM is a classic Roku web browser that is well suited to Roku devices of all types. It originally was a Roku Private channel. This is a capable browser that achieves the majority of the goals that a standard browser aims to achieve.
Now it is outdated, but this Roku browser is for those who don’t want to use a Casting or mirroring app from their phone or computer in order to surf the web on their streaming devices.
- Comparable as an alternative to Web Browser X. POPRISM Web Browser was the only other internet browser available in the Roku Channel Store for years.
- Tap the “Return” key to return to the home screen when browsing.
- Your Roku remote can be used: up, down, left, and right keys work for quickly navigating the web pages, which worked smoothly during our test.
Important update: POPRISM is currently not working according to our status page found here, which is a post on Roku web browser compatibility that we update monthly.
- An issue that persists is website compatibility when used as a Roku web browser.
- The websites may appear clunky or lack a smooth user interface, but ,When it comes to online browser general use, the arrow buttons on your Roku remote can be used which is impressive compared to others on this list, such as the Miracast and other screencasting apps.
Related: If you’re having issues connecting Roku or Roku TV and Wi-Fi, then see our post: How to connect Roku & Roku TV to WiFi without the remote
3. Kraus & Karnath Browser Mirror
The Kraus and Karnath browser allows you to browse the web on Roku. It also allows you to mirror not only photos, videos, apps, but will show your browser from your phone on most Roku TV.
Learn how to use a Roku browser here.
Not only does the Kraus Roku browser have compatibility with Roku sticks, but it also has a latency of under 1 second on average during our test and you can even access spreadsheets and games. Because of this, it is one of the fastest browsers on this list.
The main advantage here is that this app works as a great roku web browser and is supported by the following Roku TVs:
Its intuitive IX design makes streaming the web much easier. A requirement is that you must be connected to a good Wi-Fi.
- No sound, so don’t plan on using your Roku Stream bar with this browser.
- VPN or proxy will interrupt and cause lag or delay.
- Not an integrated browser, but is downloadable via the Roku store.
- All valuable features can only be accessed via display mirroring
As far as quality, some users are upset that it does not have sound, which is a clear disadvantage if you plan to stream movies or TV shows via a web browser on Roku (which would defeat the purpose of using a Roku to begin with).
Related: Roku volume button not working
Another disadvantage is that a VPN or proxy could cause this Roku web browser to not work without Latency, lag, and delay.
4. Web Browser X
Web Browser X is a strong internet browser on Roku that offers a number of useful features. You can visit any website by entering its URL.
Update: Web Browser X intermittently works to browse the internet – It was technically a Roku private channel – You may want to view our post: Why Are Roku Private Channels Not Working Anymore.
- Roku sticks (express), Roku Ultra LT, and Roku TV are a great match for this browser app on Roku because it has features that actually work to surf the web.
- Using this browser, you can view a fully rendered page that includes links that you can visit without any issues.
- The browser comes with several shortcuts to make browsing easier. You may not be able to watch video on this Roku internet browser, or log into specific websites.
Watching videos or filling out online forms is not possible. The usernames and password fields do not work on YouTube, for example.
Also, you will not be able to log into social media sites such as Instagram, SnapChat, or TikTok with this Roku web browser.
CNBC News and ABC are some of the pre-saved favorites. Your favorite sites can also be customized based on your frequent visits.
When we tested the previous version of web browser X, it was struggling to render and load complex pages.
The best option left is the Web Video Cast app mentioned previously. The Roku remote can be replaced with the browser from your phone if it is laggy.
Nowadays, people expect a slick and modern design and instead all you get is a very old, outdated style of font and navigation.
- As well as bookmarking your favorite sites, it also allows you to search for them.
- Websites can be accessed on a computer or laptop, bookmarks can be created and saved.
- There are many configuration options available with Web Browser X.
- A variety of shortcuts are also available for making browsing more convenient.
Update: This browser status has changed, see our post on how to browse the internet on Roku to view its current status.
- Media content cannot be handled by this browser, which is a major downside for those who want a full web browser experience like google chrome provides..
- In addition to not being able to play videos embedded on websites, it cannot play Vimeo or videos from google.
- A potential keyboard connection somehow, even through casting, would be ideal since very few web browsers run smoothly without one.
- Compared to Google Chrome, Firefox, opera, and even Safari, the design of Web Browser X is extremely outdated, and this browser is extremely limited for those used to Internet browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, opera, and even Safari.
As the two most popular Roku browsers in the past, Web browser X and Poprism were the two most popular. I personally prefer a phone and casting app over a built-in browser. As a result of its lack of small functions, this browser can’t be compared to Google Chrome or Safari.
This is one of the best internet browsers for Roku that you can use to access general websites as well as business and work websites. As opposed to the previous browser (Web browser X), it allows you to browse all types of sites.
With Opera on your Roku device, you can navigate the web and search Google using the Roku remote. Since it isn’t a native application, using it on this platform requires some extra steps.
During our tests, it worked without any issues and was one of the best Roku browsers. We found Opera on Roku had features that favor privacy, even when casting it to a Roku Ultra.
VPNs allow you to hide your browsing history in Opera. Roku users all over the world will benefit from its Ad blocker and multi-language capabilities.
Using screen mirroring and other methods, you can also use Opera on Roku from PCs and Android devices.
- Millions of people around the world use this browser. Among our list of the safest browsers, it allows you to browse whatever you want.
- Mobile, iPad, laptop, and smart TV devices (yes, Roku TV) are all compatible with Opera.
- Fully clickable links
The disadvantages include:
- You cannot download Opera on Roku Ultra, Roku TV, or Roku express directly from Roku Channel Store due to the lack of availability of any standard web browser.
- The Roku device won’t store it directly, so it consumes less space.
Opera browser on Roku TV: How to install it?
Outside of casting, there is no installation required. Below are the steps for casting opera to Roku:
- Using Windows or Mac, open the Opera browser.
- Select Cast from the right-click menu.
- As soon as it finds the available device, it will start searching.
- From there, choose Roku.
- You may need to follow any additional instructions on the screen.
Related: See how to access the Roku secret menu.
Mira cast also doubles as a Roku web browser by using wireless technology to send a browser from a third-party device to your Roku. This means that you can use your keyboard on a third-party device to browse the Internet on Roku because the dedicated Roku remote simply does not work as well for typing and surfing the web.
You can mirror your screen using Miracast. The picture & sound from your windows based laptop or PC are sent wirelessly to your TV through a Roku stick, express, ultra, or Roku TV.
Any device that supports the same technology as miracast will be able to display your monitor and this knowledge can allow you to find alternative options outside of our list.
Learn how to use a Roku browser here.
What I liked about Mira cast when I tested it was that it was very instant to use, but what I didn’t enjoy was the fact that I had to use a laptop and that it is not a native, built in application from the Roku channel store.
Also see: Technology statistics for more on advanced information.
It is also possible to mirror Roku from Windows 10.
- If you want to use Miracast instead of the Roku web browser, it is one of the easiest options if you have windows on another device.
- There are various devices that you can use it on, such as Android phones and Windows PCs.
- Wireless mirroring is enabled by Miracast and Miracast screen projection is now built into all laptops or computers running Windows 10 or higher.
- Miracast requires a third party device as well as windows OS.
- It is not a built-in app for Roku, but it does work as a Roku web browser.
Here’s how to use Miracast on Roku to browse the web
- Connect your Roku device to Miracast and turn it on
- Tap on your Roku device and toggle Miracast to “on” in the top-right corner.
- Please select “Allow”
- You should now be able to view your Android device’s screen on your Roku. View the full screen by turning your device sideways.
- From here, you can now cast your Browser, which will show up on the Roku or Roku TV display so you can use it like you would on a laptop, tablet, phone, or PC.
- You can stop mirroring your screen by tapping the “Miracast” setting on your Roku device and then selecting “OK.”.
7. Google Chrome
On Roku, Windows computers and smartphones, Google Chrome is one of the most popular browsers on Roku. While it is not a native app, it can be used on Roku. It’s known for its technological capabilities as well as its ease of use, quick navigation, and fast loading times.
Only downside of using Google Chrome as a web browser on Roku is that it is not a downloadable app directly from Roku. This means that in order to access Gmail, Google docs, google search, and other features you will need to cast it from a Windows or Mac computer. It’s also possible to do this from an iPad or tablet.
You also can weigh the benefits between an iPad vs laptop if those are your two choices to cast a Roku web browser. Once connected, it is easy to start screencasting on the Roku device for web browsing.
You can protect yourself from fraudulent websites with the browser’s extensions and security features.
How to get Google Chrome on Roku:
- Get Chrome for your computer by downloading it from Google chrome.
- Make sure both your Roku device and computer are connected to the same WiFi network.
- Cast can be accessed by launching Chrome and selecting More > Cast. From the list of devices, select your Roku device.
Remember, it is used by screencasting to your Roku or Roku TV just like Miracast or Web Video caster. Chrome must be installed on Android, iOS, and Windows.
The Chrome browser can be used to cast media of any type to your Roku device, as long as your laptop, computer, or tablet can support your browsing experience, then the casting experience will act as a Roku chrome browser.
When I tested Google Chrome on Roku I found it was just as efficient as the opera browser, Mira cast, and web browser X. It did not provide the same experience as Web video Caster because it is not a dedicated app for Roku and you could not type using your phone directly to the TV as smoothly. It is still one of the best browsers for Roku specifically, especially if you plan to be screen mirroring or casting.
8. Emby For Roku
The Emby media Browser for Roku is unique because you can download it from your Roku channel store. While it is used mostly for streaming movies, live TV it does not provide a direct web browsing experience.
It does however provide you with the content that you may be looking for when using a dedicated Roku web browser such as web video cast or a screen mirrored Google Chrome. The Emby Media server must be downloaded and configured on Roku before you can use it.
Emby has a way to view your previously saved contacts and history, which some of the browser on this list do not allow for.
The main benefits of using Emby is that you can navigate the interface very easily and you can also watch movies, use dish anywhere, and retrieve your saved Content.
The true disadvantage to Emby is that web browsing comes secondary and it is not a true Roku web browser.
- You can use it to access media files on your local storage, listen to music, stream videos live.
- It has a very nice modern interface that is very responsive and easy to navigate.
- Emby is unique and provides benefits web browsers can not, such as retrieving saved content.
- Has a wide-range of features which are not limited to viewing the web.
- Sound works. For example, you could even make media work with a vizio soundbar or subwoofer with this browser.
- To use it, you will be required to not only download the Emby Media server on Roku, but you’ll need to configure it too.
- You will need a one time, $5 payment for certain premium content.
- It is not a true native internet browser for Roku.
- Some users still consider this a third party browser
Overall if you’re looking to surf the web smoothly, rather than not visit websites for unique movies or TV channels, then google chrome, opera, or screen casting via an app may work better. If your main goal to use a Roku web browser is to get certain videos you can’t find on Roku, then the Emby media browser may work for you.
9. Safari Browser
The Roku Safari browser is an Internet search app that you can download in the Roku channel store. However this is not to be confused with the Apple-based browser safari. The Roku Safari browser and the Apple browser are two entirely different browsers. They just happen to have the same name as the developer, Adrianne.
In other words, it is named similarly to the Safari browser by Apple, which is ran an iOS and Mac devices including the iPhone and iPad. This browser however, only works on Roku and not iOS or Mac.
I’ve seen many users complain about this Roku browser app, but it is one of the very few actual native, built-in apps where you can browse the web successfully on Roku without any issues.
Surf the web on your Roku TV using this web browser found in the Roku store. A fast enough browser with enough privacy and security for seamless browsing and transitions.
With this app, you can successfully search Google directly on the Roku device without the use of any third party devices. The only requirement is Wi-Fi and a Roku account for you to search the web and find the websites you need quickly.
- One of the few built-in web browsers on the Roku Channel Store that you can directly download
- Streams content and can be used to search google.
- Free and a decent alternative to screen casting or mirroring (think Miracast or web video caster)
- Has privacy and security built-in
- Can be difficult and complex to use and set up.
- Many complaints from users
- Works nothing like the apple browser, sSafari and Branding is confused with Apple browser.
This browser will not let you run games on Roku. So if you want to get Twitch on Roku, you’ll benefit through another methods.
10. Media Browser
Roku’s Media Browser makes browsing easy because it has a simple interface that allows you to browse the internet for media and access the content from personal library results right on Roku. The one thing that is really unique about this browser is that it did not lag when we used it on Roku.
So when we performed a media search result there were no delays, at least not in the same way some of the other browsers on this list lagged.
You can even control how you browse and search your personal media files because it runs on a local network. This means that it will work with windows media center and similar types of libraries.
You can also watch movies, TV, Netflix and even stream music using this browser. I’ve seen Roku owners use Netflix through a Roku web browser when their Netflix isn’t working on Roku.
A more intuitive experience is possible with Media Browser because you can configure plugins and customize color and themes. Live TV, media browser apps, and remote control receive minor updates.
- A native Roku application called Media Browser allows you to browse media content.
- Updated frequently
- Doesn’t lag or delay when searching
- Can search personal libraries and media content
- In terms of searching Google or Bing, you cannot use it as a web browser.
- There is no direct access to the World Wide Web through Roku’s Media Browser, but it is a popular way to communicate and share information.
With other apps from the same publisher, you can remotely control the Media Browser which makes this one of the best roku internet browsers.
FilmRise is a browser specifically for watching movies and TV, it is not the same type of browser as some of the other choices on the list. However, it is still a Roku browser and works by showing new shows and films and other sources of media such as news frequently.
This Roku app gives you the ability to browse over 1000+ videos and shows. The website is easy to navigate for streaming and these are free of cost. You can also see the costs of Roku each Month? (Subscription Fees & Charges)
Some users question if it is legal, thus far from what we have seen it is legal but you may want to check and make sure there is no copyright infringement when using this Roku web browser. The Roku web browser allows you to browse on a range of different topics.
Roku is not the only platform for browsing, as Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, and other smart TVs are also available with this type of app.
FilmRise is comparable to the NBA browser, but it works a bit differently as it is not hosted via a local Network. You can use this app through Roku or through the website and cast it directly to your device or Roku TV.
Thus far, FilmRise has worked every time without any flaws. The reason you may want to use FilmRise rather than another broker web browser is because of the vast selection of media content rather than only exploring the Internet.
However there are some limitations for example you cannot use this like you would use Google Chrome, safari, or Bing.
- This browser shows media rather than just internet exploring, and offers free HD content.
- The FilmRise library is continually updated with new shows and movies.
- Due to the legal nature of all these types of contents, copyright issues are not an issue.
- Some consider this a native browser, but you still have to download it via the Roku Channel app store.
The Xfinity app is a paid app that is typically $50+ each month and varies based on the plan that you have chosen. While the Xfinity app works very well as a web browser for Roku, it is not its main focus in the same way the Roku web caster video app is that we covered earlier in this post.
What’s interesting is although this app is expensive you also get a full TV, movie, video, song, and library of interesting content. Visit here if Xfinity is not working on Roku.
Xfinity for browsing on Roku is likely better suited for those who already have a plan with Xfinity and simply want to browse on Roku without buying for subscribing to a monthly membership to screen cast in browser to Roku or download a native Roku browser.
- You can watch movies, Tv shows, and video content in addition to browsing the web.
- Browsing the web is possible, but less popular, due to the price point.
- Those who already have a Xfinity plan can benefit from this as a Roku web browser.
- You can control subscription preferences via the mobile device.
- You likely won’t have to worry about Xfinity throttling because this is using the app on Roku rather than the internet.
- If this app focused more on its browsing interface rather than browsing media, it would have been higher up on our list.
- To be clear, Browsing on the Xfinity app for Roku is considered a secondary use.
- One might even mistake it for a media streaming service first and a browser second because it has so many features.
The Xfinity app works on Roku streaming media players such as the Ultra 4000 models, Roku 4k Express models, and the Roku 2, Roku 3, and Roku 4.
Is there a Roku TV Browser?
While there is not a dedicated application software for visiting websites and browsing the Internet on your Roku TV, there are still browsers for Roku TV that work the same exact way they do on a Roku stick. Roku Express, and Roku Ultra LT.
Does Roku & Roku TV have a web Browser? Yes you can download a Roku web browser directly. However, If you can’t find one on the Roku store, then you can also get a Roku web browser by casting or mirroring your screen from another device to get a third party web browser on Roku that operates in a way that suits your web surfing preferences.
If you want to use a web browser on Roku TV you can download the web video caster receiver app in the Roku channel store. Essentially, it’s a receiver that lets you stream your browser on your phone, directly from iOS or Android phones, toa larger Roku TV display.
The best Roku web browsers will also work on a Roku TV and these are the apps in screen cast options you see mentioned earlier in our best Roku browser list. It may seem similar, but the entire process of getting a browser works differently from getting an app like VLC on Roku.
The app for your phone must be downloaded if you wish to cast videos straight from your internet web browser to your Roku streaming player.
In the app, you can use your web browser on your phone to stream videos, but it does not serve as a full web browser with cookies, history stored on the Roku device for optimum browsing the way google chrome or Safari does on a computer, tablet, or laptop.
The web browsers for Roku TV do not operate the exact same way a search engine does, but it does let you search the Urls you enter in on the app depending on which option you choose. Typically casting is the easiest way to get a Roku TV Browser, but there are some native, built-in options as well.
There is certainly privacy and security on some of these browsers because Roku was not built and optimized for web browsing, but for media and video consumption.
It may be possible to browse the web directly from your Smart TV if it is not a Roku.
Browsing the web on a Roku TV can only be done where there is a TV in the room connected and set up. A Roku web browser on a Roku stick however is more mobile and can be used for traveling since the Roku stick is a significantly smaller size and connects to almost any smart TV.
How we tested and rated the Roku browsers
According to our tests, we found that the best Roku web browsers had a more intuitive interface and controls. Roku Browsers with a fast search speed and a URL bar were perceived as stronger and were ranked higher.
However, for those who plan to use a Roku Web Browser in addition to other apps from the Roku Channel store, ease of use is of interest.
Because of this, we rated those with a native, built-in, Roku app browser slightly higher than those that required the use of a third party device such as a laptop or computer. The exception being Web Video caster, which casts from a phone with a very intuitive interface.
Experts in the industry we spoke with have agreed that browsers that make it easy to download, install, and surf the internet on Roku should naturally be rated higher.
If the Roku web browser was built in and didn’t require a third-party device oh, then it was considered more mobile because all you would need is your Roku.
However, if the device that you’re trying to get a browser on is the Roku TV model, then this is not the case and this needs to be taken into consideration when reading this list.
Note: Visit our speed test guide if you need to check your internet speed on Roku (speed test).
One of the reasons why someone would use a Roku web browser is to surf the web on a larger screen and without having to leave their media center at home.
If we had to install the app and deal with a complex process where there are many potential bumps in the road & difficulties, then we rated those Roku internet browser apps lower on the list.
Browsers without the ability to also fill out forms and watch media were rated lower. The apps that have progressed from their previous versions were rated higher because we knew what to expect.
What is a Roku Browser?
What is a Roku Web Browser? Roku browser lets you search the web on your Roku or Roku TV, which typically, contains links to pages, content, media, and resources. Each of these links contain a URL and when you click them you’ll be brought to that specific resource.
A good Roku web browser will have bookmarks, history, cache to improve loading times, and be able to fetch content from the World Wide Web.
Similar to your laptop, mobile device, tablet, or even iPad, you can download a web browser app for Roku directly to the device.
Streaming devices such as Roku are quite popular today. It supports various apps via the Roku Channel Store and lets you access live and on-demand channels.
You can use your Roku TV’s multi-purpose remote to surf the web if the Roku web browser is downloadable from the Roku store, otherwise, you’ll need to use a smartphone touchpad or laptop keyboard when screen casting the browser.
The Roku Channel Store offers a web browser that you can download. It contains safe and compatible apps for your Roku device such as web video caster (receiver), Safari, Emby Media, and more.
Despite the lack of a Roku-developed web browser that is already built-in, you can utilize third-party apps and channels to perform some basic browsing activities.
What are the different types of Roku Browsers?
There are 2 types of Roku Browsers, the first type can be downloaded as an app from the Roku store, while the second type is considered screen casting or screen mirroring from a third party device such as laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
Because private channels stopped working on Roku recently, these are the only two ways to get a good Roku internet browser. Private channels were also another type of Roku feature that is no longer available.
Advantages of using a Roku Web browser
The advantages of using a Browser on Roku Include the following:
- Being able to access the web immediately on your Roku stick or Roku TV
- Lets Roku users not leave their TV and easily observe a web browser on a larger display.
- Allows users to access URLS & websites in the same way Google Chrome allows
- Grants the option to save bookmarks, utilize cookies & cache.
- Utilize Wi-Fi rather than your smartphone’s LTE in certain situations.
- Casting videos and social media directly from your web browser. Such as using facebook on Roku.
Disadvantages of using a Roku Browser
- Can be difficult to find a good Roku web browser by using the Roku channel store.
- Web Browsers on Roku are not always updated frequently and may require some research from the user.
- Some Browsers on Roku have issues streaming videos and cannot be played.
- Security and privacy is an issue on non-certified Roku channel browsers.
- Functionality that you would get with a typical web browser may not be possible on all Roku browsers.
- May have to screencast or screen mirror from another device you own.
Minimal & recommended requirements for using a web browser app on Roku
The only thing you need to use a powerful Roku web browser is an internet connection, a Roku account, access to the Roku channel store, and a HDMI cable to connect your TV to Roku. In some cases a Roku web browser with more capabilities and features may require the use of third party devices.
For example if you want to use your phone’s touchpad as a keyboard to type and view websites on your Roku, then you’ll need a casting app that you download on your phone. You’ll also need to enable screen mirroring, which is located in your settings of the Roku stick or Roku TV.
With the above, you can use a roku web browser without an issue.
Alternative Web Browsers
There are some alternative web browsers, typically in the form of Roku channels. If you’re in a situation where you need to browse the web on Roku with delays, then screencasting is out of the question. Besides screen mirroring, an HDMI from your laptop directly to the TV your Roku is on is the most common alternate way to get a web browser on Roku TV.
If you are only interested in watching videos that are only embedded on websites, then you can likely stream videos directly from them if you install their dedicated app on Roku (you just have to search for it.
You can also stream your web browser to your TV from your Android device, iPhone, or iPad if you can’t get the app versions to work.
What is the downside of screen casting a browser to Roku & Roku TV
The down side of casting your screen to Roku with the intention of using a web browser is that you still have to download and configure an app. You’ll also have to use two devices instead of one, which can feel clunky.
Additionally some of these apps are not free and require payment in the form of subscription. This leaves Roku users wondering if there is a better way and if the Apple even provide full functionality for surfing the web on Roku.
Finally, you’ll also need to configure your Roku TV and enable screen mirroring with in the settings. This is something many Roku users who are not tech savvy or casually use their Roku may have an issue with.
Fun fact: Screen casting means you could even write or draw and show the result on the display that Roku shows. However, this is not recommended and even a Non Touch Screen Laptop is easier to write and draw on..
How to Cast a Web Browser to Roku from Windows, Mac, Android and iOS
You can cast a web browser to Roku from a laptop or 2-in-1 touchscreen device that runs on Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS. This can be done through the use of a screencasting app and a Roku receiver which can be downloaded in the Roku store.
You can see more on how cast a internet browser to Roku from windows, mac Android and iOS here.
Can you Cast a Web Browser to Roku from Android?
Yes, the steps are the same as Windows, Mac, and iOS, however google play store is required. If you’re looking to take a direct approach with utilizing Android OS, then you may have an issue.
Since Roku uses a different operating system, they have different versions of base kernels. As a result, you won’t be able to install android apps on Roku and must use one of the methods outlined in this post.
It might beneficial to consider the largest possible sized android tablet for using a web browsing app with Roku.
Additionally, we are happy to announce that this review was also mentioned on the Web video caster website.
In this guide we tested each browser and ranked them based on their functionality, ease of use, and ability to use the web on Roku. Overall, we aim to assist you in choosing the best Roku web browser.
Each browser on Roku offers different features, which I covered in detail in this post. All the browsers listed above are easy to use, have intuitive interfaces, and are free to use, although some are subscription-based. The only limitation is that in some cases, you are required to cast or screen mirror to make it work smoothly.
The ability to browse the web on Roku was not what Roku design their device for, but it is possible and useful for those who want to surf the web on a larger display. Exploring different URLS and seeking out popular websites or content Roku doesn’t display natively can be accessed with it