As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases made on our website. If you make a purchase through links from this website, we may get a small share of the sale from Amazon and other similar affiliate programs. You can read our complete legal information for more details.
As technology continues to evolve, it is becoming increasingly easier to connect your devices together. With the introduction of Roku and Roku TV, connecting your iPhone to these devices has become a breeze.
Whether you are looking for a way to mirror your iPhone screen onto your Roku or cast content from your phone directly to the TV, you’ll be in luck (There’s also more ways I’ll cover)
Important: Connecting an iPhone to a Roku means you can use a Roku internet browser and also get google chrome on Roku. You can also do this by using an app called web video caster.
In this article, we will discuss seven different methods for connecting an iPhone to a Roku or Roku TV. These methods include mirroring, casting, and using a USB cable so you can stream to Roku from iPhone.
Related: I also tested the Top screen mirroring apps for iPhone (works on multiple devices, not just Roku)
There are 4 main ways to connect an iPhone to Roku or Roku TV:
|Casting Video||Wi-Fi via Airplay 2||Roku, Roku TV|
|Mirroring iPhone screen||Wi-Fi via Airplay 2||Roku, Roku TV|
|Roku Web Browser||Wi-Fi via Airplay 2||Roku, Roku TV|
|Connect via HDMI||USB Lightning adapter||Only Roku TV|
If you don’t have working Wi-FI, then you can use an HDMI cable from your iPhone to your Roku TV HDMI Port. Roku devices lack this.
- Key Takeaways
- What is Roku screen mirroring and how does it work?
- 5 Ways to Connect an iPhone to Roku
- Mirroring iPhone to Roku via Airplay 2
- What to know before you connect your iPhone to Roku or Roku TV
- What to do when your iPhone won’t connect to Roku?
- Adjusting AirPlay Settings on Roku & Roku TV
What is Roku screen mirroring and how does it work?
Roku screen mirroring is a feature that allows you to stream to Roku from iPhone. This works by sending content from iOS devices, such as an iPhone or iPad, onto your Roku TV.
Mirroring: When you enable the screen mirroring or casting option, it will display the exact same contents of your iPhone/iPad’s screen on the TV, meaning that what appears on one device’s screen will appear on the other at the same time.
Related: 7 Best Screen Mirroring Apps for iPhone (Tested for streaming)
Casting: Casting will only send the specific contents to your screen, such as a video or web browser. Casting is a great way to share content from your iPhone or iPad to your Roku TV.
USB Cable: You can also connect your iPhone to a Roku device or Roku TV using a USB cable. To do this, plug one end of the USB cable into your iPhone and the other end into an available USB port on your Roku device or Roku TV.
These are just some of the ways you can connect an iPhone to a Roku or Roku TV in 2023! With so many options available, you’re sure to find one that works for you!
5 Ways to Connect an iPhone to Roku
By following these steps, you will be able to easily connect your iPhone with your Roku device and enjoy all of its features.
1. Mirroring your iPhone to Roku
There’s a number of ways to mirror your iPhone to your Roku, which will connect it’s contents of your phone to the screen your rRoku is connected to.
You’re options for mirroring goes as follows
- Using a Roku web browser: This essentially uses casting and mirroring to connect your iPhone to Roku and lets you browse the web only.
- Mirror via AirPlay 2: a feature your Roku allows for, which is native to iPhones & iPads.
2. Casting your iPhone to Roku
Casting is a great way to share content from your iPhone or iPad to your Roku TV.
- To cast, you will need to make sure that both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Once this is done, open the app you want to cast on your iPhone.
- Look for the “cast” icon in the top right or bottom right corner of your video player (it looks like a TV with an arrow pointing into it).
- Tap on this icon and select your Roku device from the list of available devices.
- Once connected, you can use your iPhone as a Roku remote replacement.
Most video apps, like Youtube, Netflix, and Hulu, will have this feature.
The best way to cast is through the web video caster app, which is an app that lets you do this for both videos and web search (yes, it’s free).
3. HDMI Connection via iPhone Adapter
You can easily connect your iPhone to Roku TV using an HDMI cable. As the iPhone has a lighting port, you will need an Apple’s Lightning Digital AV Adapter along with the HDMI Cable.
- Start by connecting the lighting end of the digital AV adapter to the charging port of your iPhone.
- Then, connect the other end of the adapter to one end of the HDMI cable.
- Finally, connect the other end of the HDMI cable to your Roku TV
Now, your Roku TV will mirror your iPhone screen.
This method is especially helpful in situations where you don’t have access to a Wi-Fi network or Internet or your Roku TV doesn’t support AirPlay.
4. Web video caster (Receiver app)
A web caster app allows you to watch videos from your favorite websites on your TV. You can use this to connect your iPhone to your Roku TV.
Here’s how to download and install web video caster for Roku:
- To connect, you must have the Web video caster app on your Roku TV and your iPhone.
- Search and add the Web Video Caster app from the Roku Channel Store to your TV.
- Once added, open the channel and click on “Web Video Caster Receiver.”
- This’ll display a QR code scanning which will download the app on your iPhone. (You can also download it directly from the App Store.)
- Now, launch the app on your iPhone and click on the “casting icon” in the top-right corner. (You must ensure your iPhone and Roku TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.)
- Finally, tap on Roku TV from the list of devices.
Now, you can seamlessly stream Internet videos from your iPhone on your Roku TV.
5. Official Roku app
Roku’s official Remote Control App also lets you connect your iPhone to your Roku TV. Using this method you can use your iPhone as a remote control to manage the TV.
- Start by downloading the Roku App from the App Store on your iPhone.
- Once installed, launch the app and connect it to your Roku TV from the home screen of the app.
Now, you can watch movies on your Roku TV.
If you don’t see the Roku TV option on the home screen of the app, make sure: Your Roku TV and iPhone are on the same Wi-Fi network, your phone is permitted to access other devices over Wi-Fi and you aren’t using a VPN.
Related: Roku TV Slow? – How to Speed Up a Laggy Roku
6. Google Chromecast
Unless you’re using an advanced app like Web video caster, we recommend using Google Chrome on Roku by using a physical Chromecast device and connecting it via the HDMI port on your Roku.
Note: This method will work on your Roku TV, but not your Roku device; because Roku devices do not work the same way regarding HDMI ports and mirroring the iPhone screen.
This method only supports those using a Roku TV; such as a Roku TCL, Element, Hisense, Sharp, Phillips, or any other TVs where the Roku software is installed on the Smart TV.
All Roku devices, including Roku TVs, lack a native Google Chrome app. By using a Roku web browser, casting (Roku TV only), or screen mirroring, you can also use Google on Roku.
7. Roku Web Browser
A Roku web browser is ideal when all you want to do is connect your iPhone to your Roku for the purpose of browsing the web or visiting other sites, including video sites.
Note: For browsing purposes, you can download a browser app or screen cast from Roku, but Roku does not have their own built-in app.
Unless screen casting is an option, you shouldn’t expect to get all the features of a traditional web browser
Mirroring iPhone to Roku via Airplay 2
You can use Airplay 2 to connect & mirror iPhone to Roku & Roku TVs. Airplay is Apple’s proprietary streaming protocol that allows you to stream audio and video from one device to another.
To use Airplay, you will need an Apple TV or an AirPlay compatible device such as a Roku Streaming Stick+.
Once these are set up, simply open the app you want to stream and look for the AirPlay icon (it looks like a triangle with a circle around it).
Tap on this icon and select your Apple TV or other compatible device from the list of available devices.
Make sure both devices are on the same Wi-Fi, if they’re not, you’ll need to use a HDMI Cable via a Lightning cable as mentioned further in this post.
The quickest way is Airplay 2, lets uncover the best way step by step, which goes as follows:
1. Download app
You can stream media from many applications on your Roku device using the AirPlay 2 feature on your iPhone.
- Launch the App Store on your iPhone and search for the streaming application you want to stream from.
- Install the application by entering you password or using Face ID.
Now, you can use the Airplay 2 feature on the application to stream media on your Roku TV.
2. Turn on Airplay on your Roku device
To stream media from your iPhone, you must first turn on the Airplay 2 feature on your Roku device.
- Press on the home button on your Roku remote and then the left directional button to access the menu bar.
- Click on “Settings” and press “OK.”
- Now, scroll down and select “Apple AirPlay and HomeKit” and press “OK.”
- Tap on “AirPlay and HomeKit Settings” and turn on the Airplay feature.
Now, your Roku device is ready to stream media through the Airplay feature on your iPhone.
3. Connect your Roku device and iPhone through Airplay
You need to connect your Roku device and iPhone through Airplay. You can do this from either from the control centre and then stream the media on the streaming app or from the application itself.
- Open the control centre on your iPhone by slightly dragging the top-right corner of the screen.
- Look for the “Screen Mirroring” option and tap on it. (A symbol with two rectangles stacked on top of each other.)
- Select your Roku device from the list of options.
- Once selected, a code will appear on the screen of your Roku device.
- Simply, enter the code on your iPhone and tap on “OK.”
You can also achieve the same result from the streaming application itself.
- Launch the streaming application and tap on the Airplay icon.
- Select your Roku device from the list
Now, you can stream media in the application and it’ll be played on your Roku TV.
What to know before you connect your iPhone to Roku or Roku TV
If you want to connect your iPhone to Roku or Roku TV, you need to know what type of content you are going to cast – either video or an internet browser. Casting your entire screen will allow you to mirror the content from your iPhone in real time on the Roku or Roku TV.
While the sound should usually work, there can be times when it doesn’t. This is because some videos and audio streams require specific codecs not supported by all streaming devices.
Also see: How to Connect Roku to Bluetooth Speakers or headphones.
If someone wants to use this connection in order to send files rather than only streaming, they won’t be able to do that – this is because Roku devices main purpose is streaming media, not file sharing.
It may be possible with a third-party app but these carry risks such as instability and other security concerns so it’s important for users to assess carefully before installing them on their devices.
Depending on what type of content you want to stream via your phone, checking the compatibility between your iPhone device and the streaming device is crucial.
While you use a Micro SD Card slot on iPhone with an adapter to transfer files from iPhone to other devices, but Roku isn’t one of them.
If a compatible video format isn’t available then another workaround could be using one of the many apps available for transcoding video into a suitable format for streaming – as long as both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
What to do when your iPhone won’t connect to Roku?
The most common issue that both devices are not on the same Wi-Fi, which is required to connect the iPhone to Roku Roku TV. The second thing to check is whether airplay is enabled on your Roku device (screen mirroring option under settings).
When your iPhone won’t connect to Roku or Roku TV, it can be a frustrating experience. Fortunately, there are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue and get your devices connected.
iPhone not connecting via Mirroring: Make sure Wi-FI is connected and you’re Roku model supports mirroring. You’ll also need to enable “screen mirroring” in your Roku or Roku TV settings. Roku TV settings are slightly different than Roku Players such as Roku ultra, Roku express, and other Roku stick models.
iPhone not connecting via Casting: If your iPhone is not connecting through cast methods, then be sure both devices are on the same Wi-Fi.You’ll also want to make sure both devices are in range of each other and the Airplay feature isn’t disabled.If you’re on android and the Airplay code isn’t showing, then restart both devices as well as your Wi-Fi.
iPhone cast button not showing for video: The fix is the same if the iPhone cast button/icon isn’t showing, it means the connection isn’t possible for the video player you’re using – this has less to do with Roku and more to do with your iPhone.
A software update could help solve for this in some cases, but it’s rare.
Related: How to Connect a Tablet to a Monitor (Computer, Laptop)
This usually occurs on websites that host their own videos, and less likely to occur on Netflix, Youtube, Prime video, and more well known streaming sites.
Adjusting AirPlay Settings on Roku & Roku TV
Adjusting AirPlay settings on Roku & Roku TV is a great way to refine the way you access content from your Apple device on your TV.
AirPlay allows you to stream audio and video content from iPhone, iPad, or Mac to your Roku device, providing an easy way to watch movies, TV shows, music videos, and more.
The first step in adjusting your AirPlay settings is to ensure that both the Roku device and the Apple device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Next, launch the AirPlay application on your Apple device and select the Roku device. You will then be prompted to enter a security PIN code that is generated by your Roku̕s remote or located within the AirPlay Settings of your streaming player or television. Once entered, you can start streaming.
Other AirPlay settings available on Roku allow users additional control over their streaming experience such as:
• Enabling or disabling sharing over Wi-Fi networks;
• Setting higher quality for audio and video content;
• Allowing guest connections when pairing other devices with the streaming player or television;
• Restoring factory reset options;
• Topping audio when playing through external speakers;
• Allowing private listening with headphones while watching TV.
These adjustments make it easier for users to have a personalized streaming experience tailored to their specific needs.
Related: How To Connect Roku & Roku TV to WiFi Without Remote
Does iPhone have Miracast?
No, iPhones do not have Miracast. iPhones use AirPlay for streaming content from an iPhone to a compatible device such as a Roku or Apple TV. You can not get Miracast on iPhone.
Which Roku players Support AirPlay?
Roku models running Roku OS 9.4 or later must be one of the following.
- Roku TV: Axxxx, Cxxxx, CxxGB, 7xxxx
- Roku Streaming Stick: 3600, 3800, 3801
- Roku 2: 4205, 4210
- Roku 3: 4200, 4201, 4230
- Roku HD: 3932
- Roku Express: 3900, 3930, 3801
- Roku Express+: 3910, 3931
- Roku TV: Dxxxx, 8xxxx
The following Roku models support AirPlay, but they must run Roku OS 10.0 or later.
- Roku Premiere: 4630, 4620, 3920
- Roku Express 4K+: 3941
- Roku Smart Soundbar: 9100, 9101
- Roku Premiere+: 3921, 4630
- Roku Streambar: 9102
- Roku Ultra: 4600, 4640, 4660, 4661, 4670, 4800
- Roku Streaming Stick+: 3811, 3810
- Roku Streambar Pro: 9101R2
- Roku Ultra LT: 4662
- Roku Express 4K: 3940
How do you check the model Roku you have
1. Power on your Roku device by plugging it into an electrical outlet and pressing the power button on the remote.
2. Navigate to the “Settings” menu by using the directional pad on the remote and select “System Info”.
3. On the System Info page, you should see information related to your model and version number, which will tell you what model of Roku device you have.
4. Alternatively, if you do not have access to a remote, simply check the back of your Roku device for a label containing the model number and other details about your device.
Can you connect iPad to a Roku or Roku TV?
Yes, you can connect an iPad to a Roku or Roku TV the same way you’d connect an iPhone. This is done by casting, mirroring, a web browser, HDMI cord and other ways.
Also see: How to Watch TV When your Cable is Out (No Cable, No Problem!)
To cast or mirror, you’ll need to launch the AirPlay application on your iPad and select the Roku device. You will then be prompted to enter a security PIN code that is generated by your Roku’s remote or located within the AirPlay Settings of your streaming player or television. Once entered, you can start streaming.