As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases made on our website. If you make a purchase through links from this website, we may get a small share of the sale from Amazon and other similar affiliate programs. You can read our complete legal information for more details.
Have you ever encountered problems while trying to sync the audio in VLC for a movie or a video and match it to its visuals? This can be frustrating, especially when you are trying to watch an entertaining show.
Popular multimedia player VLC has been around since 2001 and is now used by millions of people who want more control over their media experience. VLC offers full support for addressing out of sync issues for both video and audio.
For example, if you’ve converted a video like (mkv to mp4) and the audio is out of sync, you’ll need to learn some VLC audio synchronization methods.
Whether you’re using VLC for streaming videos or watching movies from your hard drive, syncing the audio with the visuals can make a huge difference. In this article, we’ll tell you how to use the Audio Delay feature in VLC (permanently) and get the most out of your media content.
Related: VLC Media Player: Is it still the Best Video Player?
- How to sync audio in VLC on Windows
- How to sync audio in VLC on Mac
- How to sync audio in VLC on Android
- How can you determine if the audio is ahead or behind the video in VLC?
- Alternative Audio Syncing Softwares
- How to save audio sync settings
How to sync audio in VLC on Windows
The best method to sync audio to fix audio delay in VLC is to simply press the “J” or “K” hotkeys (or G and F on Mac) which will increase/decrease the audio speed by 51 milliseconds.
In most situations where audio delay occurs, the audio of VLC videos may play at a faster rate than the video. Performing this action will align them in synchronization
Related: How to Download a Youtube Video with VLC (Windows & Mac)
You can also do this from the menu using your mouse – if hotkeys aren’t your preferred method for vlc audio syncing issues – we’ll cover this further this post.
Having your audio not in sync with your video can ruin the entire viewing experience. But you can fix the audio/video synchronization to resolve this issue.
Well, VLC is a versatile media player for packed with features like support for various video and audio formats, subtitle sync, equalizer and more. But you can also use it to sync audio seamlessly with your videos.
Related: 4 Ways to use VLC media player with Apple TV (Play any Video)
Method One: With hotkey
When it coms to VLC audio synchronization: If your audio is lagging or playing faster than the video, you can use certain hotkeys on your Windows device to resolve the issue.
Related: How to Convert Youtube Video to Mp3 (Audio) using VLC
- Launch the VLC Media Player and play the video file.
- Press the “K” hotkey to decrease the audio speed, and “J” to raise the rate of audio play. (or G and F if you’re on Mac OS)
- VLC will display a confirmation message in the top-right corner. Every hotkey press shifts the audio by 50 milliseconds.
- Keep pressing the hotkey to increase the speed of the audio playback and continuously play the video to adjust the audio until it matches perfectly.
VLC also lets you synchronize your audio with the video through the menu bar. Here’s how to synchronize the audio in VLC on Windows by using the menu options:
Related: How to Enable VLC’s Picture in Picture Mode on Any Device
Method Two: With Menu Options
- Select the “Tools” menu, then choose “Effects and Filters” (or press CTRL+E)
- Navigate to the “Synchronization” section and In the “Audio/Video” area, input a number
- Finish by clicking the “Close” button.
Remember: A positive number (e.g., 5.0 s) delays the audio and a negative number (e.g., -10.0 s) accelerates it.
Related: How to Convert Videos with VLC Media Player
Method Three: Fix audio video sync in VLC permanently
While using the hotkeys and the menu bar, you can increase/decrease the audio deliver to sync with the video. VLC also allows you to adjust the audio/video sync permanently.
Here’s how to do this:
- Open VLC Player, then go to the “Menu” and select “Tools” > “Preferences” > “Advanced Preferences.”
- Choose the “Audio” tab >> “All” in the Show settings in the bottom-left corner.
- Find the “Audio desynchronization compensation” settings and input a value (seconds)
- If the audio lags, use a positive value; if it’s ahead, use a negative value.
- Save the changes and enjoy watching your synchronized video.
This way, you can fix the audio and video sync issue in VLC permanently on your Windows device.
Related: How to Cleanly Rip a DVD with VLC (& Fix any Ripping Errors)
How to sync audio in VLC on Mac
VLC works like a charm on a Mac. Not only does it play a wide range of media formats, but also offers many playback and customization features to take your experience to the next level. If your audio/video is out of sync, you can use VLC to fix it with hotkeys and the menu bar.
Related: How to Cut & Trim Videos in VLC MediaPlayer
Method One: With hotkey
To sync audio in VLC on Mac using hotkey:
- Ensure your video is playing, and the sound is not in sync.
- Press the ‘G’ hotkey to slow down the audio, or the ‘F’ hotkey to speed it up. You’ll see a confirmation in the top-right corner of the screen.
- A single hotkey press modifies the audio by 50 milliseconds. This means you can continuously press the hotkeys until the audio completely synchronizes with the video.
Related: How to Download a Youtube Video with VLC (Windows & Mac)
Method Two: With Menu Options
With VLC on your Mac, apart from using the hotkeys, you can sync the audio with your video through the menu bar.
- Open a video in VLC player on your Mac. Click on the “Window” menu at the top of the screen.
- Select “Track Synchronization” from the drop-down menu.
- In the Track Synchronization window, locate the “Audio track synchronization” box. Enter a value in this box to sync the audio with the video.
- If the audio is ahead of the video, consider using a negative value to adjust it accordingly.
- Once you have entered the desired value, click “Close” to exit the Track Synchronization window.
Now, play the video to ensure the audio has synced properly with the video.
How to sync audio in VLC on Android
VLC Media Player is an excellent media player for Android users. It offers all the playback features, allowing you to enjoy your videos smoothly. But if you aren’t near a desktop/laptop, and detect the audio is not in sync with your video, VLC enables you to correct this with its Audio Delay feature.
You can specify the delay time in milliseconds and synchronize the audio with the video.
For example, a delay of 1000 milliseconds, plays the audio 1 second after the video.
Follow the steps to sync audio with VLC on your Android device:
- Open a video, tap on the screen to show the on-screen controls
- Click the second button, select “Audio Delay”
- Use the plus or minus button to adjust the delay.
To save the delay for future viewings of the same video, go to Menu > Settings > Video and select or deselect the “Save audio delay” option.
How can you determine if the audio is ahead or behind the video in VLC?
In VLC, you can determine if the audio is ahead or behind the video by observing which one is not synchronized with the other by ear:
- If the audio is ahead of the video, it means you will see actions happening on the screen before you hear the corresponding audio. You’ll want to decrease the audio speed sync.
- If the audio is behind the video, it means you will hear audio after seeing the corresponding action on the screen. You’ll need to increase the audio speed sync in this scenario.
We’ve put together this VLC Audio and Video Synchronization Table for reference:
|Audio and Video Sync Issue||Solution|
|Audio is ahead of video||Decrease the audio speed sync|
|Audio is behind video||Increase the audio speed sync|
Alternative Audio Syncing Softwares
If you can’t use the VLC Media Player to sync the audio with video, there are plenty of options available which allow you to sync audio with video seamlessly. Here are a few audios syncing software you can use:
Wondershare UniConverter is an all-in-one video converter and editor which lets you sync audio with video seamlessly. It offers many functionalities, such as audio editing, video compression, and format conversion.
Compared to VLC, Wondershare UniConverter provides a more comprehensive set of features for editing and optimizing videos. Its audio syncing feature is user-friendly, letting you permanently sync audio and video in just a few clicks.
To sync audio with video in Wondershare UniConverter:
- Open the software, and import the video
- Click on “Video Editor” > “Audio,” and use the “Master Audio Slider” to adjust the audio track timeline.
- Finally, choose an output format and export your final video.
Wondershare UniConverter is a great VLC alternative to fix the audio/video sync and offers the goodness of all the core features you need to optimize and fix your corrupted videos. It works best for users who need advanced video editing features, such as YouTubers, content creators, and video marketers.
Kapwing is an online video editing tool which allows users to add and sync audio to their videos seamlessly. It supports various sound file formats and enables users to merge video and MP3 audio files to create a new MP4 file with a soundtrack. Kapwing comes with a full suite of editing tools like adding custom subtitles, images, logos, and combining videos.
To sync audio in Kapwing:
- Open the Kapwing Studio Editor on the web.
- Upload the video and audio files
- Play the video and identify when the subject speaks.
- Now, slide the audio dial to that exact moment in the video.
- Go back to the studio and click ‘Publish’ to create the final video.
You can use to sync your audio and video files over the web. It also offers many customization features ideal for content creators who want to make their videos more engaging and interactive by adding soundtracks, captions, and images.
HitFilm Express is a free video editing software which offers a range of features perfect for both amateur and professional video editors. With HitFilm Express, you can edit and create videos effortlessly, add visual effects, apply color correction and sync sound with the video seamlessly.
Compared to VLC’s audio syncing feature, which allows you to adjust the audio delay in a video, HitFilm Express compares the audio in both the video and audio files, syncs them together, and creates a newly merged file automatically.
To sync audio using HitFilm Express:
- Choose the video file you want to use in the “Media” panel.
- Hold the “Control” key and select the audio file you would like to add.
- Right-click on the selected files and click on “Merge Audio/Video”.
- HitFilm Express will then compare the audio in both files, sync them, and combine the video with the separate audio file.
In conclusion, with HitFilm Express, you can sync your audio and video with just a few clicks.
How to save audio sync settings
If you use VLC to sync audio with your video, it won’t save those settings permanently. While VLC is great for playing videos, it’s not really a video editor, it can’t save synced files.
But you can use other tools like the MKVToolNix GUI program to save the synced files. Here’s how you can do this:
- Use VLC to determine the time delay needed, and then use the MKVToolNix GUI program to add in the time delay for both audio and subtitle files.
- Click and highlight the audio or subtitle file you want to sync, then fill in the “Delay” (ms) box for each sub-file of audio or subtitle you want to delay/advance.
- Click on the “Start Multiplexing” button on the bottom of the main window to re- mix the files at the synced speeds.
While VLC can’t save audio sync settings, you can use programs like MKVToolNix GUI to save synced files.
Why my video plays out of sync every time I reopen VLC
If you find your video is playing out of sync every time you reopen in VLC, there may be an issue with the audio track synchronization or other settings. Go to “Tools” > “Effects and Filters” > “Synchronization” and adjust the value. You can also reset all settings by going to “Tools” > “Preferences” and pressing the “Reset Preferences” button. This should restore all settings to their default values and resolve any sync issues you’re experiencing.
Why does my audio play faster than the video
If you’ve synced your audio in VLC but find that it’s playing faster than the video, it may not be possible to resolve this issue within VLC alone. You may need to use an external editor to extract the audio from the video and then adjust its speed to match the video. While VLC allows audio/video sync, but it’s not a video editor which can achieve perfect audio syncing in all cases.
Audio delay option not working on Android
VLC’s audio delay feature on Android helps fix the audio/video synchronization issue. But If it’s not working on your Android device, there are a couple of things you can try. Use the feature with other videos to see if the issue is specific to the video you’re currently watching. If the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall the latest version of VLC from the Play Store.