As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases made on our website. If you make a purchase through links from this website, we may get a small share of the sale from Amazon and other similar affiliate programs. You can read our complete legal information for more details.
There is no official version for Procreate on Windows laptops or desktop computers. This is because it is only supported for iOS devices such as the iPad and iPhone.
You will need to use an unofficial method in order to download and make procreate on Windows available. This means running an iOS application or another operating system such as an emulator.
Alternatively, you can follow the instructions in this post to download, launch and draw on procreate via Windows pc.
One popular way is using a duet display alternative in order to use Procreate on Windows.
In this post I will explain what procreate on Windows is, how you can download it on your Windows laptop or PC, and exactly what you need to do step by step to get procreate on Windows.
I will also cover the benefits and drawbacks of using Procreate on Windows in addition to possible limitations and compatibility issues.
- 1. Get Procreate on Windows by using Astropad (Luna)
- 2. Download Procreate on windows with the use of Bluestacks
- 3. Use Nox Player Emulator
- 4. Use iPadian Simulator
- Can you use a Wacom tablet with Procreate?
- Can you get procreate on PC
- How do you use procreate on a laptop or Desktop?
- Can I Get Procreate Pocket for Windows?
- Is downloading Procreate on windows a scam or legit?
What is Procreate for Windows?
Downloading Procreate for windows is not officially supported by Procreate. However, there are some unofficial ways to run it on Windows.
Once you get Procreate on Windows, It will run just like the app on iPad, but may have some small flaws that differ from the official iOS based Procreate app because it is not natively supported on Windows or laptops in general.
Procreate is a highly popular iOS art app for iPads and iPhones due to its intuitive interface. \
This program is popular with artists who want to create digital paintings, sketches, simple and advanced illustrations, and other forms of graphic design & art. This is mostly due to its powerful drawing capabilities and intuitive interface.
Users can create professional-quality art on their iOS based mobile devices with Procreate’s brushes, pencils, and advanced layer blending features.
Can you get Procreate on Windows?
To answer this question briefly, yes. In fact, after some research, we found out that there are four ways to install Procreate on Windows (laptop or desktop):
- Astropad for Windows: with Astropad you can turn your iPad into a drawing tablet and connect it seamlessly via WiFi to your Windows PC. All you need is the premium mirroring app, an iPad, and a laptop or desktop.
- Bluestacks: This is a premium Android emulator that lets you download and run Procreate software for PC (via a third-party Android APK).
- Nox Player Emulator: Like Bluestacks, Nox is also a well-known simulator that works perfectly on Windows PCs. Again, to use Procreate with Nox Player, you need to download the Nox app and an APK file (Procreate for Android) to your PC.
- iPadian Simulator: iPadian lets you turn your Windows PC into a fully functional iPad. This is one of the most popular iPad emulators that lets you experience apps like Procreate and navigate through the Apple interface.
How to get Procreate for Windows (Full instructions)
There are 4 different options that will allow you to download, and launch Procreate on Windows. These include emulators, simulators, and screen mirroring apps that will allow you to run the iOS version of Procreate on Windows.
1. Get Procreate on Windows by using Astropad (Luna)
In a few words, Astropad is the best way to use Procreate on Windows PCs. Not that Astropad also works with all popular Windows creative software like Photoshop and Illustrator. But the real kicker is the wireless connection between your iPad and your Windows PC.
In fact, the Astropad allows you to turn your iPad into a drawing tablet and use it to draw wirelessly (or via USB if WiFi is not available) on your Windows laptop or desktop. You can even use the Apple Pencil and touch gestures as you normally would on your iPad.
The only thing is, you’ll need an iPad… and the windows laptop becomes a larger monitor for Procreate, you’re not actually “running” or “downloading” Procreate on Windows OS this way
The app works on any PC with Windows 10 (1809 or later) OS and any iOS (12.1 or later) iPad. Installing and using the app is very simple. All you need to do is:
- Check the Astropad system requirements and make sure that both your Windows PC and iPad meet them.
- Download the Project Blue application from the App Store on your iPad.
- Download and install the Astropad Studio app on your Windows PC.
- If you are connected to a Wifi network, use the control panel of the Astropad app to find your iPad and connect it to your Windows PC wirelessly. Alternatively, use a USB cable to connect your devices.
- Once you connect your devices, you are all set. All you need to do is open the Procreate app on your iPad and start drawing.
2. Download Procreate on windows with the use of Bluestacks
Bluestack is a lightweight Android emulator that lets you run Procreate on your Windows PC or laptop. Best of all, you do not need an iPad to do it. Of course, the Procreate app from the App Store does not work on this Android emulator.
So, in order to run Procreate on Windows with Bluestack, you need a Procreate APK for Android. Note that this is an unofficial application developed for Android. For this reason, we have not tested it. Since the app is created by a third-party developer, you should use it with caution.
Let us take a look at the simple steps you need to follow to download Procreate on Windows with Bluestacks:
- Check the system requirements and download the latest version of the Bluestacks emulator from the official website
- Download the APK
- Open the Bluestacks emulator and install the app. This may take more than 5-10 minutes depending on the hardware of your Windows PC
- Open the emulator and sign up (or sign in) using your Google account
- Click on the install apk button (on the right side toolbar) or simply drag the .apk file to the main page of Bluestacks
- Navigate to your laptop or desktop and find the APK file
- Click on Open
- After the Procreate app is installed, all you have to do is click on its icon to run it
3. Use Nox Player Emulator
If you are looking for a more powerful emulator than Bluestacks, Nox Player is the best choice. Keep in mind that Nox is a more demanding software in terms of system requirements than Bluestacks.
We recommend using Nox Player if you have a powerful laptop or desktop PC. Keep in mind that NoxPlayer is one of the few Android emulators that work on Mac devices as well.
The interface is modern and the emulator works for Android games and apps without any issues. Like Bluestacks, you need a third-party Procreate APK to run Procreate with Nox Player. The installation process is pretty similar:
- Download the Nox Player emulator and the Procreate APK
- Install the emulator on your Windows PC
- Login with your Google credentials
- Select the Apk file and drag it into the main screen of the NoxPlayer
- Procreate will be automatically installed. You are good to go.
4. Use iPadian Simulator
Unlike our previous recommendations, iPadian is not an Android emulator. Rather, this app lets you simulate a full iOS experience on your Windows PC. Keep in mind that you cannot access the App Store with iPadian.
However, the development team has adapted more than 1000 apps and games for the simulator. During our tests, apps like Facebook, Spotify and Tiktok worked flawlessly. Apart from that, installing iPadian Simulator on a Windows PC is very easy:
All you need to do is:
- Download the iPadian Simulator from the official website on your Windows PC
- Install the app. This will probably take a few minutes, so try to be patient.
- You’re all set. The iPadian Simulator is ready to be used
How to use Procreate for Windows
A few years ago, you could not use Procreate on a Windows laptop or desktop. Fortunately, Astropad has found an amazing (and official) way to do so. With this app, you can easily run Procreate on your Windows computer. All you have to do is mirror your iPad to your PC.
What we really liked about Astropad is that it allowed us to use all the drawing features of our iPad. We did not encounter any problems when drawing with the Apple Pencil or using hand gestures. Brush strokes and advanced painting tools were fully capable.
Although the Project Blue app is still in beta, the wifi connection was strong and the drawing experience was flawless. I was able to use all the features and had no limitations on color pallets, tools, pressure sensitivity, stylus settings, and more.
In a few words, Astropad offers an innovative solution. If you want to turn your iPad into a drawing tablet and mirror your Procreate experience to your Windows PC, there is no better solution than this.
Can you use a Wacom tablet with Procreate?
No, you can not use Wacom tablets with Procreate, however you can use the Wacom Stylus for procreate. Even though you can connect a Wacom tablet to an iPad via a USB-C cable, Wacom does not make drivers for iPadOS devices.
This means that you cannot customize and set up your Wacom drawing tablet on an Apple mobile device (iPhone or iPad), but you can use a Wacom stylus to set a wide range of customizable brushes and creative drawing tools.
So, theoretically, you can not use a Wacom tablet with Procreate. But with Astropad, you simply do not have to.
All you need to do is mirror your iPad to a Windows or macOS computer and use it as a Wacom drawing pad. Remember, the Pro and Air versions of the iPad in particular come with the high-quality Apple Pencil 2 and offer an ultimately precise drawing experience with Procreate.
What devices is Procreate compatible with?
As of Q1 2022, the latest version of Procreate is fully-compatible with the following devices:
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch
- iPad Pro 11-inch
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Air (2, 3rd-4th gen)
- iPad (5th-9th generation)
- iPad mini (4, 5th-6th gen)
On the flip side, the Procreate Pocket version (for iPhones) is compatible with the following models:
- iPhone 12 (all versions)
- iPhone 11 (all versions)
- iPhone X (all versions)
- iPhone 8 (all versions)
- iPhone 7 (all versions)
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone SE (1st-2nd gen)
Can you get procreate on PC
Although Procreate is compatible only with iPads, there are ways to run it on your PC. In fact, there are four different solutions that will allow you to get Procreate on PC:
- With the Astropad app (on both Windows and MacOS computers)
- With the Bluestacks Android emulator and a third-party Procreate APK (Android version)
- Via the NoxPlayer emulator and a third-party Procreate APK (Android version)
- Via the iPadian Simulator
How to get Procreate on Android Devices
Procreate is a digital drawing software designed specifically for iPads and iPhones. However, there is a way to download Procreate and run it on an Android device. Recently, a third-party developer released a Procreate APK for Android. Of course, the app is unofficial and you should use it with caution.
Since the official app isn’t developed for Android, we can say with certainty that Procreate does not offer the same experience on Android devices as it does on iPadOS devices. So, not all drawing features and hand gestures will work seamlessly.
However, if you want to try Procreate before buying an iPad, you can try the Android APK and navigate through the drawing app interface.
Procreate Alternatives for Windows
Procreate is a high-end digital drawing app for iPads. But what if you don’t have an iPad and want to generate top-notch artwork on a Windows 10 or Windows 7 device? If that’s the case, we have good news. There are plenty of Procreate alternatives for Windows desktops, laptops or tablets.
Our personal favorites are:
- Krita: This is one of the most powerful and comprehensive drawing apps for Windows. And the best part; It is completely free.
- Sketchbook: By far the best choice for beginner artists and graphic designers.
- Clip Studio Paint: A great alternative to Krita, that also includes 3D drawing features.
- Medibang Paint: The best choice for anime character drawing.
- Adobe Illustrator: A premium software by Adobe that has every drawing feature a professional or beginner needs.
There are many other apps similar to procreate that can run on windows. Some art slightly different but has the potential to capture the same goal. These include adobe photoshop, adobe photoshop sketch, sketchup, autocad, FireAlpaca, and more.
Is Procreate worth it for Digital Art?
Absolutely. Procreate is one of the best digital drawing softwares on the market. The latest iPad Pro and iPad Air can be combined with the Apple Pencil 2 and Procreate.
In our testing, this combination has proven to offer an extremely accurate drawing experience. For this reason, Procreate is now used by many professional artists and graphic designers as an alternative to Wacom drawing tablets.
One reason for this is that you don’t need a laptop for digital art or drawing if you’re using an iPad & Procreate. The iPad will serve as a Digital art pad for Procreate, which means you won’t need to get a separate drawing tablet with a built-in screen like the Wacom, Huion, XenceLabs, GAOMON, or XP-Pen.
How to learn and use Procreate
If you are a beginner, you should know that an iPad with Procreate does not have an extreme learning curve. That said, it can be a challenge to learn all the hand gestures, keyboard shortcuts, and drawing toolbars.
How do you use procreate on a laptop or Desktop?
No, you can not run Procreate on a Windows or macOS computer, but you can always download a simulator like iPadian. Using the Procreate app on PC is easier than it might sound once you get the emulator running (as mentioned earlier).
Alternatively, if you have an iPad, you can turn it into a wireless drawing tablet and draw with Procreate on your desktop or laptop through a duet display alternative. To be precise, the Astropad Studio app lets you mirror your iPad to your Windows or macOS PC in no time.
Can I Get Procreate Pocket for Windows?
Sadly, No. You can’t download Procreate pocket on laptops or desktop computers as it’s not available for this format. iPhone users can download Procreate Pocket to create on their iPhones. There is no compatibility with Windows, Mac (MacBooks), or Android devices, only Apple iPhones.
I typically get asked this question when users find out they can not use Procreate natively on windows and need to use an emulator that works like an iPad to make it run. In theory, Procreate pocket on Windows laptops (such as the surface pro) is possible only through emulators, simulators, and astropad type applications.
Is downloading Procreate on windows a scam or legit?
Since procreate is not natively supported for Windows operating systems, any source that claims you can directly download it to your desktop or claims there is an official windows version is likely a scam, illegitimate.
In these cases the Procreate windows download simply will not work.
However there are ways to get Procreate on windows that are not a scam and this is through an emulator as discussed in this post.
You can also mirror your iPad to your Windows PC so that you can in theory draw and use procreate on your device safely.